My Tools and Materials Journal Assignment
· Analyze the use
of tools, materials, and processes in a medium or project.
· Ask questions about tools, materials, and processes
you use in art making.
Lesson Two introduces the tools, materials, and processes
Luis Jiménez uses to make his painted fiberglass cast
Tools (and equipment) are the
things artists use to make art that are not used up in the
process, such as, hammers, brushes, software, kilns, presses,
Materials (or supplies) are
used up in the art making process and are usually (but not
always) part of the final artwork. Examples of art materials
are paper, clay, canvas, paint, plaster, glue, wood, film,
Processes are the steps
that artists use to make art. For example steps in the photography
- loading film in camera
- shooting pictures
- rewinding and removing film
- developing film
- printing photographs
Choose one project or art medium to
think about. Ask yourself what your experience has been with
tools, with materials, and with processes in that project
Next, think of questions you
still have or problems you're still working on. For example
- What is my favorite art tool? Why?
- What computer graphics tools would
I like to work more with? Why?
- What effect do I have a difficult
time achieving with what kind of tool?
Then choose either tools, materials,
or processes as the topic to write about in your journal.
Journal Entry Checklist
- Name of art medium or art project
- My topic (Tools, Materials, or Processes)
- What I've learned about this topic
from working with the medium I picked
- A question related to this topic
that I still wonder about or a problem that I'm working
- Other thoughts I have about tools,
materials, or processes I'd like to use in future art making