Ideas and Images Journal Assignment
· Identify various
non-art sources you can use to get ideas and images for your
· Identify various art sources you can use to get ideas
and images for your art.
Identify questions or problems to guide your art making.
Lesson One explains how Luis Jiménez works with images
and ideas. The continuing Treasure Box project gives you the
opportunity to apply what you've learned in your own art.
The Treasure Box project uses the theme of Treasure that runs
throughout this program. First you need to identify something
you treasure and then you will make a special container to
keep your treasure safe.
Think of several possibilities for
treasures. Your treasure can be any small object, such as
a pebble, photo, old toy, dried flower, vacation souvenir,
baseball card, candle, concert ticket stub, keepsake, poem,
or even an idea (like love, loyalty, patriotism, work, future,
Once you have selected a Treasure,
your next challenge is to get an idea for a suitable container
for it. Plan to make a container that can be closed rather
than an open container. Start by looking for box ideas in
your home, in stores, and at school.
- Boxes can be cylindrical, like a
lipstick tube or an oatmeal box.
- Boxes can be thin and flat, like
a briefcase, a CD, VHS, or DVD case.
- Boxes can be tall, like a PEZ box
or like cereal, crayon, or playing card boxes.
- Boxes can be heart-shaped, like
a Valentine's candy box.
- Boxes can be oval, like many compacts.
- Boxes can be conical, like the nose
cone of a missile.
- Boxes can be domed like traditional
You can also look for ideas in
art made by others. Click below to see remarkable lidded containers
made in different cultures and eras.
Century Potlatch Box
Century B.C.E. Egyptian sarcophagus
Century French Reliquary
Shoshone beaded container
Century French bird-shaped container
Chinese bronze containers
Century French egg-shaped containers
Century German Ivory container
burial urn and more
Century Islamic metal container
- An idea for a treasure to keep in
my treasure box
- Sketches of at least two types of
everyday boxes I'm considering as ideas
- Sketch (photocopy, printout, or
tracing) of a special artistic box or container that gives
me an idea for my treasure box
- Preliminary sketch for my treasure
- Question or problem I'm still thinking
about or working on.